Programming Interview Questions
We plan to perform a couple of interviews to:
- learn more about programming and pedagogy
- give students a chance to listen to hackers and possible get tips and inspiration
These questions are used to give an introduction to the interviewee, typically used to introduce the full audio and/or video interview.
- Funniest moment in your carrier
- Main programming language
- Favorite editor
- Favorite datatype
- Favorite annoyance
- Wish I knew how to...
- OO, functional, imperative... or?
- How did you get in contact with computers?
- How did you get in contact with programming?
- Can you sum up your carrier?
- What education have you attended?
- How important do you think programing education is?
- How important do you think university education is?
- What would you say makes a good teacher?
- What would you say makes a good material/book?
- What would you say makes a good course?
- How should programming be taught?
- Do you have any tip to hackers-to-be?
Learning to hack
- An important thing for your carrier?
- An important person for your carrier?
- Do you have any programming idols?
- What is the most valuable thing you've learned, that schools don't teach?
- What enabled your learning the past years?
Myths about programmers
We're going to quickly go through a couple of ideas people seem to have about programmers. We want you to answer if they apply to you:
- big belly
- drinks energy drinks
- eats junk food
- lives with your mother
- has special interests such as obscure board games)
- detest light/sun
- smells bad
- night owl
- no life
In movies hackers are portrayed as semi nutcases. How do you see your self?
- Can you define FOSS?
- Is FOSS important to you?
- How did you get introcued to FOSS?
- What's the motivation behind your engagement in FOSS?
- What tools do you consider vital for a programmer?
- What's your favorite editor? Why?
- Is there a language that solves all problems?
- If you should write a small program/software to solve a small problem, think batch-job, what is your prefered language?
- What's your main programming language?
- Name a tool/technique/language you wish you knew.
- what keeps you from learning it?
- Any tip to aspiring programmers?
- There's a couple of myths about programmers. Can you
- name and describe one that you believe is true
- name and describe one that you believe is false
- How do you look at research on computer science/programming..?
- who's leading the development of programming?
- last time a scientific article saved your day?
- Do you have any stupid things you do or require?
- If there's any update on the ESTA weirdness? It's just sooo strange (from @therealboto via twitter)
- Is there a backdoor in Curl. You wrote a blog post, THE BACKDOOR THREAT, the other day, why did you feel you had to write that?
- Jag är intresserad av att veta hur ungefär man skall tänka i ett arkitektstadie av databasen när man modellerar hur den skall vara uppbyggd, framförallt hur man undviker dum design! (from Bellak via email)
- Hur får ni bug-rapporter, hur rättar ni dessa, vilka och hur meddelar ni? Har ni täta samarbeten med communitites/företag? Hur hanterar ni att ni (eventuellt) får skit för fel som egentligen beror på användarna av P.
- Vad gör en testare?
- Vilka språk används på Ericsson?
- Vad skall man tänka på när man skall lära sig programmera?
- Vad ser du som viktiga kompetenser hos kollegor?
- Hur ser du på noggrannhet?