- Richard Feynman -
Android - the practical way
This is a practical aproach to learning how to program Android devices. Since there are several good learning resources out there, and some really bad ones, we will lean on these and complement with exercises and solutions, an assignment and an schedule where the concepts are introduced in an order fitting the assignment and we hope your learning.
We will make use of material
- we've written ourselves
- mainly from Google's Android site for developer and from Vogella's Android Development pages.
We try to write the exercises to
- introduce concepts in a practical way
- use components or concepts the right way
- use components or concepts in a bad way - causing build or runtime errors. It is our belief, based on our experience, that getting familiar with some know pitfals actually speeds up development in coming lectures
We try to use the following strategy/pattern in our material:
- introduce using video (recorded presentation)
- exercises and suggested solutions
- external links
Android:ListView and custom Adapter (uses JSON which requires an extra Volley call per elemet)
Android:Network (including Volley, JSON)
Android_-_client_strategy - tips and tricks how to split a client into smaller parts, where some parts can be tested locally.
--- TODO ---
Web - Java/backend
- External tutorial on Vogella: Java and XML - Tutorial
- External tutorial on Vogella: JAXB - Tutorial
- We have a lot of code examples on XML and Java on Github
- Read our wiki chapter on Introduction to XML | (and the exercises chapter)
- Read our wiki chapter on Creating XML from Java | (and the exercises chapter)
- Networking in Android
- Android ListView (includes ExpandableListView).
- TODO: make code, video about this
finishto Activity chapter